Now that you’re familiar with Pilates Reformers, let’s get to know the Pilates Tower.
While a Pilates Reformer, with its moving bed, is great for challenging balance, strength, and mobility, adding the mighty Pilates Tower opens up a world of possibilities for a full-body workout.
A Pilates Tower is a vertical unit that uses a variety of attachments—a roll-down bar, arm springs, leg springs, and a pull-through (or push-through) bar—to provide a full body workout. The attachments are a series of small machines that use resistance in the springs in combination with your body weight to challenge you to your max! Towers can be used to isolate particular muscle groups (arms, legs, shoulders, etc.), or they can aid in providing a really good stretch, but every movement on the Pilates Tower challenges core strength. You’re only as strong as your core, right?
The Tower Squat
One example of an exercise you can do with a Pilates Tower is a “Tower Squat” (shown above), where you hover your butt just a few inches from the mat and lift up again. The spring-loaded bar helps keep your back straight as you move, which challenges your core stability while working the back of the legs and chest, too.
Pilates Towers can be used alone, as a wall unit, or in combination with a Reformer for a more complete workout. Here’s our guide to some of the best Tower Machines of 2020.
Dimensions: 30 x 97
Weight: 65.8 kg
The most complete professional Reformer of the Merrithew™product line, the V2 Max Plus Reformer and Tower, this is a favorite amongst fitness and health professionals because of the limitless workout possibilities it provides. It multi-tasks as a Mat platform, standard Reformer, and a half-trapeze Cadillac.
With Merrithew’s™ patented retractable rope system and traveling pulleys on a vertical frame, you’re offered more angles of resistance, which means an increased range of motion for your exercises. It’s this versatility and high-quality craftsmanship that make the V2 Max Plus™ an ideal choice for any Pilates-based exercise you can imagine!
- Built to withstand continuous, high-intensity exercise with EVA foam, enhanced springs and durable vinyl upholstery.
- Patented retractable rope system, so changing rope lengths is a breeze!
- Patented rolling mechanism for a friction-free carriage ride.
- Optional Mat converter for mat-based exercises.
- Easy-roll wheels make it easy to move or reposition.
Dimensions: 27 x 93 (Reformer); 30.25 x 83.5 (Tower)
Weight (w/Tower): 103kg
The Balanced Body® Clinical Reformer ® is a CE approved medical device (class 1) Reformer, meaning it is a safe and effective Pilates tool for rehabilitation. With its signature springs and a Tower that includes 35 attachment points, it’s versatile, too.
- Strata Rock Maple frame that is sanded by hand for a satin finish.
- Set of 6 Balanced Body Signature Springs™: 1 yellow (very light); 1 blue (light); 3 red (medium); 1 green (heavy). Other configurations are also available.
- Heavy-duty vinyl upholstery is available in your choice of 9 colors at no extra charge! Or choose one of 35 custom colors (additional charges apply).
- The stainless steel tower includes 35 attachment points, and it is strong, safe, and easy to maintain.
- Our slide system makes repositioning the push-through bar a breeze - so easy it will not interrupt the flow of your practice!
Dimensions: 15.5 x 29 x 100.5
Weight: 240.40 kg
Perfect for smaller spaces -- the Peak Pilates PeakPilateSystem Deluxe offers outsized functionality while offering a rolling and folding design that makes for easy storage! With so much convenience and versatility, this is a big win for every Pilates fan.
- Hinged carriage for easy mat conversion.
- 5 spring system with 1 Red (heavy), 2 Yellow (medium), and 2 Blue (light)
- The whole system folds up and rolls away for easy storage!
Weight: 382 lbs (with packaging)
The Sportline™ is made in Turkey, and the company brags that its frames are made with 100% real hornbeam wood. That quality craftsmanship can be seen throughout from the meticulously designed Reformer beds that drive silently, to the water-resistant body.
- High-quality, imported, vinyl-covered leathers that are easy to clean.
- 5 springs in different resistances (hard, soft-hard, medium-hard, and soft).
- Non-slipping and non-rotating foot bar sponge and zipper system.
- Attachable jump board that saves time during a session.
- Crush resistant, non-collapsible sponge.
Dimensions: 74.6 (tower height) x 26.5 (width)
Perfect for group Reformer classes, The Balanced Body ® Rialto™ Reformer with Tower packs all of the necessary, professional-grade features while keeping an affordable price tag. With a sleek and contemporary design, you’ll experience comfort, ease, and style during your workouts.
- Beautiful, handcrafted Maple frame.
- Extra-wide standing platform with no-skid surface.
- 5 Balanced Body Signature™ springs (3 red, 1 blue, 1 green).
- Sitting Box Lite: lightweight and economical way to add functional versatility to your reformer!
- Easy-to-handle, over-molded mats can also be used on the floor.